15+ years balancing user and business goals to create engaging experiences via
- Passionate advocacy for user-centered design throughout a project.
- Application of usability inspection and testing methods.
- Rapid prototyping tools and iterative revision processes.
- Coherent, usable content strategies and information architectures .
- Curiosity and a philosophy of continuous learning and self-education.
Recent Experience & Accomplishments
Creative Communications Consultant
Booz/Allen/Hamilton (Aquilent), 07/16 – Present
Leading content migration of NIAID AIDS clinical studies document site into Drupal by
- Evaluating existing site content for recency and popularity.
- Creating custom taxonomies to facilitate faceted search of over 300 documents
- Conforming navigation and Information Architecture to best practices
Developed + tested consumer-focused Information Architecture for Store.SAMHSA.gov by
- Creating a detailed competitive analysis
- Using heuristic evaluation techniques to examine existing SAMHSA content
- Running a SMOG Analysis on existing SAMHSA approved language
- Writing tasks for Treejack test and analyzing results of responses by more than 45 testers
Led Content Team in Agile migration of Fitness.gov site from Staging through first product launch in Sprint 3 by
- Helping stakeholders and content owner to identify agency goals.
- Analyzing site visitor statistics to determine users’ top tasks.
- Performing ROT and content gap analyses.
- Recommending information architecture and metadata changes to increase usability.
UX+Project Manager / Front-End Developer
Rad Campaign, 04/12 – 04/16
Led development team on three sites and launched five sites as project manager and solo developer across 15 projects where clients reported reported immediate increases in engagement and donations. Projects included:
- Schroeder Institute for Tobacco Control Research (2014) – Live site | Portfolio
- Clean Water Action (2016) – Live site
- Helping Hands: Monkey Helpers (2012) – Live site | Portfolio
- Center for Arts Education (2013) – Live site
Crafted consistently usable interfaces for client websites by
- Partnering with clients to assess organizational and visitor needs.
- Drafting wireframes using rapid prototyping tools and methods.
- Revising information architectures for better usability, wayfinding, and conversion.
- Creating workable content strategies based on clients’ capacity for implementation.
- Advocating for user-centered designs during internal and client-facing visual design reviews.
Supported project managers and developers by
- Providing primary technical maintenance support for five clients.
- Wrangling SCRUM style sprints for select projects.
- Translating discovered user and business goals into clear technical specifications.
- Evaluating project progress against budgets to ensure clients received maximum value.
- Assessing clients’ mid-project requests for impacts on project scope.
- Coding standards compliant Drupal and WordPress interfaces using HTML and SASS.
Public Affairs Specialist (Digital Content Division)
U.S. Dept. of Health & Human Services, 03/11 – 04/12
Guided 14 programs in the Office of the Asst. Secretary for Health to useful websites by
- Training content owners and contributors in best practices for accessibility, usability, and Plain Language writing to all content.
- Providing priority guidance to vaccines.gov site managers to ensure user-centered design practices informed post-launch improvements.
- Analyzing results from cognitive and heuristic walkthroughs on vaccines.gov site.
Supported Digital Content Division in the Office of the Asst. Secretary for Public Affairs by
- Creating usability test scripts for healthcare.gov site brochure site.
- Designing HTML email templates for DCD managed sites resulting in 10% increase in clickthroughs.
- Developing and delivering training in HTML & CSS for 16 DCD staff members.
Director of Online Communications
Clean Water Action, 10/06 – 03/11
Managed $80,000+ redesign using local and remote vendors to on-time, on-budget completion by
- Guiding multiple stakeholders through brand redesign for both 501(c)3 and 501(c)4 identities.
- Revising website information architecture to support users’ goals.
- Prioritizing content migration from flat HTML to Drupal to support acute program needs.
Supported Program and Development outreach by
- Creating a lapsed donor renewal program resulting in a 20% increase overall in online donations.
- Developing email welcome series resulting in 15% reduction in unsubscribes for new supporters.
- Writing easily understood, targeted calls to action for email blasts.
- User Research
- Information Architecture
- Visual Design
- Survey Monkey
- Optimal Workshop
- Axure RP, Balsamiq
- Axure RP, InVision
- UXPin, Photoshop
Education & Training
UX Designer Intensive
CareerFoundry, Berlin, Germany
Certificate – Plain Language Writing
Plainlanguage.gov Federal Employee training
M.A. – Film and Video Production
American University, Washington, DC
B.A. – Interdisciplinary: English, Politics, Psychology
Catholic University of America, Washington, DC