My role(s): UX/Content Architect, Project Manager, Drupal Developer.
The Schroeder Institute needed a way support their other channels and enable potential participants to find and enroll in quit smoking studies easily.
The first step: create stakeholder interview questions (pdf) to surface information including:
- internal goals and objectives
- target audiences
- top tasks for audience members
- desired perception of the organization
- visual design preferences and dislikes
Organizing the Site
I did competitive research which confirmed the IA suggested by Schroeder’s in-house team would meet potential study participants’ expectation.
I next developed custom taxonomies covering
- study principals
- types of studies
- audience characteristics
These taxonomies would be the key to funneling participants to the correct studies early in the process.
Developing the Site
I developed the Drupal 7 site creating content types, fields, contexts, and other back-end elements based on the Functional Requirements (pdf) created in the discovery phase of Rad Campaign’s waterfall project management process.
I led Rad Campaign staff in reviewing wireframes and served as buffer between the in-house designer and Schroeder Institute staff translating their feedback into understandable change requests.
With desktop, tablet, and mobile comps approved, I finished back-end development and started on a custom theme.
The anticipated audience for study enrollment required a high degree of functionality for mobile and tablet versions.
Rather than fall back on what was comfortable, I started with Bootstrap to leverage its built-in mobile capabilities and deliver the best user experience to the audience the Schroeder Institute staff anticipated.
As sole developer and project manager for this project, my deliverables included:
- stakeholder interview documentation
- competitive research analysis
- project timeline with milestones incorporating internal review for deliverables due to the client
- sitemap and navigation schema incorporating recommendations from SEO consultant
- functional requirements document serving as a blueprint for back-end development
- back-end Drupal customization including module installation, creation of views, contexts, taxonomies, and content types
- graphic assets optimized for multiple platforms
- custom SASS creating interactive UI and custom theme based on Bootstrap
I also created and delivered both basic training covering content entry, publication, and management, and advanced training covering site administration to Schroeder Institute staff.
The Schroeder Institute tobacco study enrollment portal has good SEO placement, often appearing in the top 10 results for searches via Google, DuckDuckGo, and Bing.